Thursday, January 4, 2007






How far do you commute [to Old Street, E1]?

Not far. I’m only St John’s Wood.

Who’s the first person you saw at work?

Roger. He’s the banksmen, he’s my second in command on the ground in control of the radio. I don’t always work with him but on this job he’s my banksman. He’ll tell me where he wants me to go and I’ll get in that position.

Is there lingo?

Not really. You’ve got some signals, but language wise it’s pretty straightforward, like ‘down you come’ and ‘up you go’.

Do you have to do any preparations before you go in the cab?

Just give it a quick check over.

What were you picking up?

Steel.

What do you see from the cab?

I’m not that high really, but I can still see quite a lot.

Do you see people getting changed?

There was a girl last week who had a little fling with her bloke on the roof over there. She knew I was watching and she carried on anyway. She kept looking up and waving over.

Did you have a packed lunch?

I had some sandwiches.

How were you feeling in the cab that day?

A bit silly with the camera, taking all the photographs. When I was trying to take one of myself I was like that [pulls confused face].

No comments: